Parallette bars are a terrific piece of calisthenics training equipment that can be used to train a wide range of bodyweight exercises. They are small and versatile, which makes them a must-have item in your fitness journey.
Perfect for training push movements such as push-ups, dips, handstands, and core training, along with core exercises such as the L-sit. Paralettes are great for those on the go as they are easy to carry around such as when staying in a hotel.
If you’re looking to build strength and power using your body weight, read on to find the full list of the best parallette bars for you.
The Parallettes Bars Buying Guide
The Right Material
Parallettes are made out of different materials from metal, wood, and PVC. You may choose one based on your personal preferences and budget.
- Steel: Heavy duty and sturdy bars as they are heavy. But, they are not as portable since they are more chunky in comparison to wooden parallettes
- Wood: Ideal for optimal grip, comfort, and aesthetics. If you have sweaty hands then these are a must
- PVC: Best option if you’re a handyman as you can make it at home, DIY style. The total cost of the parallettes is minimal for what you’ll be able to do with them. Plastic pipes tend to be slippery when palms are sweaty
The Right Size
Parallettes come in different shapes and sizes which are measured by Length + Height + Diameter. You’ll need to evaluate your fitness goals and the exercises you aspire to do.
Small paralettes (2” to 5” off the ground) are the most transportable option, they can be put into your backpack to travel with you everywhere. But, you can only do limited exercises such as handstands, push-ups, and planches.
Medium-size paralettes are a little bigger (8” to 12” off the ground). They are more stable than smaller-sized ones as the feet are bigger and are constructed of steel. The extra few inches off the ground will give you an extra range of motion for your pike push-ups and planches.
High parallettes, otherwise known as dip stations (25” to 33” off the ground), are the most versatile as they allow you to practice pulling and pushing movements such as Australian pull-ups, inverted rows, push-ups, dips, leg raises, and L-sits. Don’t let the size discourage you as you can easily disassemble them on the go.
During intense calisthenics training, most likely, your palms will sweat and your grip will deteriorate, which makes your training riskier and less effective.
- Wooden paralttes are the best option for grip, they absorb moisture and handle your palms better
- Metal parallettes can be slippery when your hands are moist, however, you can overcome this by using chalk.
- PVC parallettes will have the worst grip, but you can fix this by sanding the grip to add knurling (rough texture), or wrapping grippy tape around the bars. Check out this article for a step-by-step tutorial on how to sand your parallettes.
Men’s Health suggests that chalk dries slick hands and creates friction between your skin and the bar. This helps to better hold on to the bar when doing reps and reduces the likelihood of you losing grip. You can either use liquid chalk or chalk blocks.
Both will eliminate moisture. The only difference is that liquid chalk is cleaner, and longer lasting, but dries out your skin too much. Whereas chalk blocks are messier but easier to wash off
If lifespan is your main concern then metal parallettes are your best option as they are super sturdy and can withstand heavier loads. But, they are heavier and this will sacrifice portability – not a problem if you’re using them for home training.
Wood parallettes feel great on the hand and are light enough to be carried around in a backpack. I had my wooden parallettes for over 6 years now and are still going strong!
Best All-Around Parallettes
Specifications: Solid steel construction (made in the USA), textured black powder coat finish, protective rubber feet, all hardware included
Max weight recommendation: 280lbs/127kg
Item dimension: 24 x 15 x 14 inches (LxWxH)
- It comes with a set of rubber feet that grip the floor and protect your flooring
- Gripper surface from black powder coat
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Big and bulky
These parallettes are built like all other Rouge products, just plain rock solid. The extra height will allow you to do more exercises such as the L-sit and other core work, and work with a greater range of motion. They are straightforward to construct and hold up excellently. Great gripping and doesn’t wiggle at all.
Amazon link: https://amzn.to/3qKmZlD
Specifications: High-quality natural wood (sustainably sourced), built to last, made in Europe, versatile and dynamic
Max weight recommendation: 551lbs/250kg
Item dimension: 9.06 x 5.51 x 3.94 inches (LxWxH)
- High-quality craftsmanship, they will feel sturdy in your hands when doing push-ups, handstands, and planches
- Constructed with beechwood for non-slip organic grip. Absorb sweat for maximum grip while providing a comfortable neutral wrist position
- Rubber feet keep praralettes in place
- Not ideal if you want to train L-sit
The woodpower is a great pair of parallettes that is sustainably harvested. These bars are lightly oiled to preserve an all-natural finish for maximum grip and comfort. You can work out anywhere at any intensity as they have a weight capacity of 551lbs. They come with an engraved logo and the wood feels smooth, rest assured as the quality is outstanding and you can use them in many different ways (for me is hand balancing). Lightweight and therefore easy to carry around.
Amazon link: https://amzn.to/3BPRuN5
Specifications: Ergonomic joint-friendly wooden handle design, anti-slip pads, portable, and no installation effort
Max weight recommendation: 440lbs/200kg
Item dimension: 8.66 x 5.12 x 4.91 inches (LxWxH)
- Highly functional
- Reliable brand
- Can carry anywhere in a small backpack
- Anti-slip pads fall off after a few uses
The PULLUP & DIP is well-built, solid, and lightweight. You can take it with you anywhere, whether it is outside, to the park, or around the house. The wooden grip is made out of handmade beech wood to perfectly match your hand thanks to its ergonomic design. Even on a slippery floor, these push-up handles will give you a secure footing. Train calisthenics wherever you want!
Best Medium Size Parallette
Amazon link: https://amzn.to/3QSPsQS
Specifications: Solid stainless steel construction, non-slip commercial grade grips, lightweight, 3 color options
Max weight recommendation: 400lbs/181kg
Item dimension: 15.98 x 21.73 x 12.01 inches (LxWxH)
- Non-slip rubber feet for stability
- High-quality steel construction translates to high durability
- Durable foam grips for extra comfort and slip prevention
- Foam rubber grips will break down after frequent use
This set of parallettes bars gives you endless exercise options including push-up variations, partial dips, handstands, and L-sits. These lightweight yet sturdy stainless steel designs assemble and disassemble easily, making them portable—no gripping problem or wiggling movements after initial loading.
Amazon link: https://amzn.to/3RTu3YR
Specifications: Sturdy and stable, non-slip grip, easily foldable, 5 different color options, and carry case included
Max weight recommendation: 661lbs/299kg
Item dimension: 38 x 25 x 23 inches (LxWxH)
- Foldable, lightweight, and portable which is great for travelers
- Sleek design
- Non-slip grip
- One year money back guarantee
- Foam handle grips and rubber footing grips will fall off after frequent use
- The elastic cord that holds the bar together seems fragile
This is another great portable workout gear that is designed with a practical folding system. The elastic band system allows it to be easily assembled and disassembled. Perfect for home workouts or anywhere on the go. You can practice handstands, L-sits, push-ups, and many more exercises. Portable, light, and compact. You’ve got to love it.
Best High Parallettes Bars
Amazon link: https://amzn.to/3drYu9F
Specifications: Easy to assemble and breakdown, adjustable width, and height, available in red, black, and yellow
Max weight recommendation: 400lbs/181kg
Item dimension: 16 x 24 x 31 inches (LxWxH)
- The adjustable bar accommodate people of all shape and sizes
- The width can be adjusted and the stand is stable
- The padded grip on the handlebars is small
This dip bar is perfect for training your upper body muscles and is suitable for all fitness levels. I highly recommend this bar to those who are getting into calisthenics and home workout. The bar’s height can be adjusted from 31”-35”, is light in weight, and is convenient to move and store away. It has non-slip rubber feet and a comfortable grip on the bar to prevent slipping.
Amazon link: https://amzn.to/3dt8pfi
Specifications: Easy to assemble and breakdown, versatile
Max weight recommendation: 350lbs/159kg
Item dimension: 21 x 16 x 28 inches (LxWxH)
- Compact and lightweight, ideal for small spaces
- You can select between four color options
- The padded grip on the handlebars is small
Lebert Fitness dip bars are a good kit for absolute beginners. You can put them together in less than five minutes. They will give you a good workout and you can progress on to more advanced movements.
You have two buying options, the XL size which is suitable for users over 5”10, while the regular is best for users under 5”10. These bars are lightweight, portable, and can be stored away easily when not in use.
The Takeaways: Parallette Bars For Calisthenics
Now that you’ve seen my top six picks of parallettes for your calisthenics training, I hope you’ll choose the right one that will take your progress to a whole new level.
My personal favorite is the Rogue Bolt Together Set. These parallettes are as solid as a rock, will never break, the grip feels amazing, and they’re small and compact so I can take them with me anywhere.
To complement a great pair of parallettes check out our list of best pull-up bars for calisthenics where I cover the best doorway, wall-mounted, ceiling-mounted, free-standing pull-up bars, and many more.
I’m Pat Chadwick, a qualified Level 2 and Level 3 calisthenics coach and athlete from London, England, with six years of experience. I’ve competed in various UK competitions, including the Kalos Stenos Championships, where I achieved third place in the lightweight category. My passion is highlighting the beauty of calisthenics as an authentic and pure form of body expression. I believe that everyone has the potential to become a champion of their body and mind, and that calisthenics opens the door to personal empowerment.