A medicine ball is also known as an exercise ball that is used to help people build strength and muscle. They are one of the most underrated pieces of equipment out there. The outside shells are soft and generally made from a range of materials comprising dense rubber, nylon, leather, or polyurethane, and the insides are usually filled with sand, gel, or other synthetic materials.
If you are bored with your usual training routine and you’re after something to complement your routine, then a set of high-quality medicine ball exercises will take your fitness to the next level. From developing muscle with squats, High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), a full-body workout, slamming exercises, and cardio, medicine balls bring many health benefits to all fitness levels and ages.
According to research, medicine ball training exercises seems to be a useful and inexpensive strength training strategy in developing function performance by closely mimicking sport-specific movement activities.
We have looked at various medicine balls and assessed them for quality, durability, grip, and weight. We’ve rounded up our top picks below. After that, you’ll find our medicine balls buyer’s guide.
Best Medicine Balls On Amazon
Size: 10 lbs – 40 lbs
Product link: https://amzn.to/3gKqE0O
- Designed outer shell for better grip
- A sand-filled ball that is designed to be less bouncy
- Absorb great impacts
- Available in a wide range of colors
- The sand inside sloshes around, making it awkward to handle
The Yes4All Slam Balls are smartly designed with tread to support firm and comfortable grips. It comes in a wide range of weights so you can go with the right one for your training session. The seamless construction prevents it from splitting overtime use. This is great for wall slams, overhead throws, Russian twists, squats, and many more.
Product link: https://amzn.to/3DkGZRy
- Made with durable rubber that absorbs impact
- Rugged and textured surface promotes a secure and easy grip
- Comes with a wide selection of weights and colors
- The sand inside the ball moves from side to side and the shape can change to an oval egg shape
This medicine ball is overall very good the size is perfect for each weight category you choose and it’s not slippery. Some medicine balls slip out of your hands when using it, but not this one. The ultra-durable rubber shell absorbs impact well so you can be sure that the product is durable.
Product link: https://amzn.to/3sL4RJo
- Features a thick, ultra-durable rubber shell that absorbs impact
- A rugged textured surface that provides easy gripping
- Multiple weight options are available
- The sand filling moves around inside and unbalances the ball
The TRX Slam Ball is designed to help you reach your fitness goals. This weighted slam ball is filled with sand and has an easy grip with textured rubber on the outside. Constructed with durable material helps the ball to withstand slamming force from every core strengthening exercise wherever you are.
Product link: https://amzn.to/3gJDz35
- A lightly textured surface provides a superior grip
- Rubber shells make it bounceable off hard surfaces
- Available in multiple color-coded weight levels
- The ball has an initial chemical smell, almost like motor oil when you first take it out of the box
- Not made for slamming
This is a great medicine ball for workouts. The texture ensures a firm grip, and different colors make it easy to select desired weight. This is a ball that is good for walking lunges, Russian twists, squats with a ball bounce, and tossing between partners. The price is fair for the quality you’re getting.
Product link: https://amzn.to/3DiKCrj
- Smooth superior grip made out of leather shells, ergonomically designed for an easy throw, catch and slam when sweaty
- The 14-inch diameter of the soft shell construction absorbs high impact while maintaining its shape and balance
- Give more bounce than typical slam balls
- The ball can be too study, like a hard
- It can be slippery because of its smooth exterior surface
The Rhino Promax Slam Ball is durable and well-made. It’s slightly larger than other medicine balls you might have used. Made out of high-quality leather, its durability will hold up to every slam, throw, or maneuver. You can use this for throwing, catching, and slamming to improve core strength, cardio, and overall health.
Product link: https://amzn.to/3WdoZRL
- Durable construction made with heavy-duty vinyl-coated shell
- Holds shape when slammed to the ground
- Nonslip grip making it easy to hold during your sweat session
- Can be a little too bouncy to work with
- Not intended for slamming exercise
The JFIT medicine balls have a tough outer shell with double stitching on the seams so that they will last longer for all your explosive tossing routines. This ball will keep shape when you are doing tosses, which is great for those who are looking to increase core strength, and muscle density while maintaining a steady grip during the exorcist routine.
Product link: https://amzn.to/3DpJVwt
- Durably constructed rubber shells absorb and withstand the toughest workouts
- The deadweight design creates safer workouts and zero bounce backs
- Different grip options from classic anti-slip grip (smooth) and ultra-grip surface (tread)
- Not bounceable
- The sand filling inside the ball shifts from the center of weight when using it, so you’d have to handle the ball in a different position each time.
The ProsourceFit classic medicine ball offers a fun and functional workout for you to target the full body and get your heart pumping. These medicine balls are durably constructed and are filled with sand so you can throw or slam it as hard as you want without any bounce. A great alternative to free weights for building muscle.
Product link: https://amzn.to/3SOA20T
- Easy to grip with thick handles that provide comfort and leverage for intense routines
- Long-lasting and durable as they are made out of synthetic rubber PVC
- Perfect choice for performing rotational abdominal exercises
- Not bounceable
- The smell when first taken out of the box can be overwhelming
This medicine ball comes with a dual handle which makes it easy to grip. They are the perfect choice for performing rotational core exercises, upper-body extremity cross-body patterns, and lower-body dynamic drills. Perfect for swings, lunges, and squats.
Rogue Medicine Ball
If quality, durability, and longevity is your main concern then Rogue Fitness is a good brand that is at the top of the gym fitness market with its range of high-quality fitness equipment. While they are slightly more expensive, their products are consistent and manufacturing and distribution are focused in the USA.
Product link: https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-medicine-balls
- Extra durability with double stitching
- The interior filling is substantial enough to help the ball keep its shape across use
- Two-Year warranty
The Rogue Medicine Balls are individually constructed, stitched, and tested in Ohio, USA. They are made for high-speed, high-intensity training. Rogue goes the extra mile with reinforced, double-stitched nylon threading to withstand indoor and outdoor use in a wide range of applications. Use them for anything from wall ball throws, torso twists, sit-ups, squats, presses, and more.
Product link: https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-rubber-medicine-ball
- The bouncy exterior is designed to bounce back on slams and wall throws
- Tread pattern grip ensures a steady grip and helps prevent slips and mishaps
- Can be too bouncy
This is a great medicine ball that not only stays comfortable in your hands when working out but also takes your garage gym look to a whole new level. The ball holds its shape when in use and you wouldn’t see sagging after repeated use. The price is competitive with traditional medicine ball designs (Made in the USA!).
Weight Ball Buying Guide: What To Look For
Texture and Material
There are a variety of materials that a medicine ball can be made from. You’d want a ball with a grippy surface that you can hold on to comfortably and safely whilst working out so that it won’t slip out of your hands.
The best materials for a durable medicine ball for holding, throwing, or slamming has got to be made out of rubber, PVC, or leather. I prefer treaded grip surfaces as the groove exterior shell gives me a firm grip on the ball even with excessively sweaty palms. The Yes4All Slam Ball is perfect if you want an easy-to-grip surface.
Choose a ball that challenges you, and enables you to maintain good form so that you can train with a lower risk of injuries. Havard Health suggests that you should learn the correct way to do your exercises, and don’t sacrifice good form and posture for the sake of finishing a set or routine.
If you choose a ball too light, it may not give you the intensity you need, and vice versa for a ball that is too heavy, you won’t be able to lift it at all. You want to choose a weight in between heavy and light and increase the weight over time.
A study concludes that a 12-week resistance training program with medicine balls can significantly improve throwing distances in all applied medicine ball throw tests, and improve peak power during bench and shoulder presses at 30 and 50% of one rep max.
You need to pick a medicine ball based on the type of exercises you’ll be executing with it. If your routine consists of slamming exercises, go for slam balls such as the BalanceFrom Slam Ball rather than a bounceable medicine ball. If you want a ball solely for training your core, opt for a dual-grip SPRI Xerball that cones with a sturdy grip handle and comfortable hand clearance.
The Takeaways: Best Medicine Balls For Home Workout
Medicine balls are great for enhancing your explosive power, speed, and endurance without free weights or fixed resistance machines. You can use medicine balls to increase the weight to bodyweight exercises such as squats, lunges, and Russian twists to increase the intensity of your functional strength training. For a more in-depth tutorial on these bodyweight exercises, check out:
My top two picks from the list of ten products are the Rogue Medicine Balls, which will be used for non-slamming activities. Alternatively, for ball slams with convenient bounceback, I would pick the Yes4ALL Slam Ball.
I’m Pat Chadwick, a qualified Level 2 and Level 3 calisthenics coach and athlete from London, England, with six years of experience. I’ve competed in various UK competitions, including the Kalos Stenos Championships, where I achieved third place in the lightweight category. My passion is highlighting the beauty of calisthenics as an authentic and pure form of body expression. I believe that everyone has the potential to become a champion of their body and mind, and that calisthenics opens the door to personal empowerment.